Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Ground Beef and Lentil Soup

Oh, how I love fall.  For all of the normal reasons of course, but also because it is the best time to start bringing out those soup recipes, and of course for discovering more.

For this one, I had some ground beef thawed out for meatloaf, but then I remembered that I had lentils and really wanted to make a soup.  So, naturally, I went scrolling through Pinterest and found one that caught my fancy.  And then I made it my own.  If you're interested in the original recipe, you can find it here, but I did not agree with some of it, so I improved upon it.

I was actually unsure of how it would turn out at first, but it was a hit at my table.  Both kids and the husband ate every bite and loved it.  (Success!)


What you'll need:

  • 1lb lean ground beef (I used 96/4)
  • 1/2 an onion finely chopped
  • 1 Tb minced garlic
  • 1 Tb olive oil
  • 1 Tb parsley
  • 1 Tb thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dill weed
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • approx. 50.7oz chicken stock (I used 3 16.9oz boxes)
  • 1 crushed beef bullion cube
  • 2/3 cup lentils
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup uncooked rice (I used white rice)
  • 2 Tb soy sauce
What to do:

Heat olive oil in the bottom of a large stock pot on medium heat.  Add onions and saute until translucent (about 4 minutes).  Add garlic and saute an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.

Add ground beef and cook until it is all brown.  Add parsley, thyme, dill weed, cumin, and turmeric and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.

Add lentils and carrots and mix into the ground beef.

Add chicken stock and beef bullion and stir it all together.  Bring soup to a boil (use high heat for this step).  Reduce to low heat and simmer for 25 minutes, covered, until carrots and lentils are soft.

Stir in the rice and bring to a boil (I used high heat again).  Reduce heat back to low and simmer for another 20 minutes, or until rice is thoroughly cooked.  Add soy sauce.  Salt and pepper to taste (be sure to taste before you add salt because of the soy sauce).

Serve it up hot with some crackers, and you've got yourself a hearty cold weather dish.

Yields about 6 hearty servings.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour(ish)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment