Sunday, January 3, 2016

One Pot Cajun Style Red Beans and Rice

I posted this recipe about two years ago and referenced today to make dinner.  I realized as I was making it that I could make some minor adjustments to make it better.  So... here is the new and improved version of my red beans and rice.  Now in an easy one pot recipe.

If you haven't noticed by now, I'm all about easy meals.  What choice do I have?  I have other obligations that keep me from being in the kitchen all day (darn!).  So here I have an easy way for you to make red beans and rice without compromising your cooking integrity by using a box (also, less sodium than the box).

I should also mention that my family does not do spicy very well, but I know that many of you out there love to have your mouth on fire.  For you, I will include some spicy alternatives.  You're welcome.




What you'll need:

  • 1 can of red beans (undrained) [spicy alt: creole cream style red beans: New Orleans spicy]
  • 1 can of petite diced tomatoes (undrained) [spicy alt: Rotel]
  • roll of sausage (regular, green onion, or jalapeno)
  • 1 cup rice (uncooked)
  • 1 T Tony's creole seasoning
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 2 T parsley (because I put parsley in everything)
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup dried minced onions
  • 1 cup water
  • pepper to taste
  • cayenne pepper (optional)
**Salt is not necessary for this recipe.**

What to do:

Slice up sausage and put in a medium to large pot.  Cook on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, or until it starts to brown.  
Add garlic and let cook an additional 30 seconds.  Add everything else.  If you do use salt, be careful to only use a tiny amount since the sausage and Tony's are already salty.
Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat and cover.  Let simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
Serve immediately with cornbread or crackers.

Enjoy!


Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: About 45 minutes


Serves: 5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment